Great insights from five social media studs

Posted on | November 30, 2009 | 15 Comments

Rick Jamison (Twitter: rickjamison), social media kingpin at Synopsys, has been quietly doing the industry an enormous service with a series of interviews he’s posted to his Synopsys Listening Post blog. Of course you’d expect me to wax lyrically here since he just sweet-talked me into doing one, but I’m a sucker for guys who came out of the publishing industry. I was honored to rattle out answers to his great questions.

Rick Jamison, Synopsys Social Media Strategist

Rick Jamison, Synopsys Social Media Strategist

To date, he’s interviewed five social media studs (and, no, I’m not counting myself) and pulled from them insights helpful for newbies and experienced social communicators alike:

• Harry Gries (Harry the ASIC Guy; Twitter: harrytheasicguy) and the origin of GLACNJBP. Harry trotted out this mnemonic at DAC this summer: Good Leaders Are Creating New Jobs. Be Prepared. He elaborates on it for Rick. I remember hearing Harry present this at Synopsys’ Conversation Central at DAC and thinking “Now here’s a guy who thinks much more deeply than the average social media bon vivant.” And so he has. And check out the pic: Harry looks like Rick owes him some money.
  • J.L. Gray (Twitter: jlgray) on the adoption or lack thereof of social media among engineers: “I used to work at Intel, and I was often afraid to share even the most inane piece of information with vendors who had NDAs in place so as to avoid ruffling my boss’s feathers.  Also, people inthe corporate engineering environment are often judged based on the work they contribute to the project at hand, and have little motivation to become known outside of that localized sphere of influence.” This point remains a chief sticking among those of us trying to build social media programs for engineers. It’s just a different audience. Period.
  • Tom Diederich (Twitter: Dieds), a fellow former ink-stained wretch who now consults on matters of social media. Tom told Rick to remember that for every 10 people in your company whom you recruit to blog for the company, only one will do it regularly. His advice: Start recruiting three months ahead of your blog launch. If you think about it, this it the same problem companies have had forever trying to get engineers to write contributed articles for publication. Bribery helps.
  • Michael Brito (Twitter: Britopian) is a social media strategist and community builder at Intel. He’s a Twitter beast, and I personally have a hard time keeping up with his Tweet Stream. I may make him his own Twitter list on my feed. His 10 Twitter best practices are highlighted in Rick’s interview. A must-read.
  • Ron Ploof, the founder of OC New Media, LLC (Twitter: ronploof), and well-known social media guru, throws down on a media sacred cow, at least as it applies to corporate communications. Objectivity? Overrated. “People love transparent biases,” he says in his interview.

Rick’s saved the world a lot of time by bringing these voices together, and I look forward to future interviews. Thanks, Rick.

Comments

15 Responses to “Great insights from five social media studs”

1. rickjamison (rickjamison)
    December 1st, 2009 @ 2:39 pm

Twitter Comment

Smartest guys in the room: @bfuller9 @jlgray @harrytheASICguy @Dieds @Britopian @RonPloof [link to post] #SNPS

Posted using Chat Catcher

2. bfuller9 (Brian Fuller)
    December 1st, 2009 @ 3:37 pm

Twitter Comment

Posted using Chat Catcher

3. jlgray (JL Gray)
    December 1st, 2009 @ 3:38 pm

Twitter Comment

RT @bfuller9 The latest from my Greeley’s Ghost blog: Insights from five social media studs (courtesy of @rickjamison) [link to post]

Posted using Chat Catcher

4. karenbartleson (karenbartleson)
    December 1st, 2009 @ 3:39 pm

Twitter Comment

RT @bfuller9: The latest from my Greeley’s Ghost blog: Insights from five social media studs (courtesy of @rickjamison) [link to post]

Posted using Chat Catcher

5. karenbartleson (karenbartleson)
    December 1st, 2009 @ 3:40 pm

Twitter Comment

unsure of beta RT, so RT @bfuller9: Greeley’s Ghost blog: Insights from 5 social media studs (courtesy @rickjamison) [link to post]

Posted using Chat Catcher

6. ocoudert (Olivier Coudert)
    December 1st, 2009 @ 3:41 pm

Twitter Comment

RT @bfuller9: The latest from my Greeley’s Ghost blog: Insights from 5 social media studs (courtesy of @rickjamison) [link to post]

Posted using Chat Catcher

7. synopsys (Synopsys)
    December 1st, 2009 @ 3:42 pm

Twitter Comment

Smartest guys in the room: @bfuller9 @jlgray @harrytheASICguy @Dieds @Britopian @RonPloof [link to post] via @rickjamison

Posted using Chat Catcher

8. Debra Seifert
    December 2nd, 2009 @ 12:38 am

I have known and worked with many engineers over the past decades. Social media does not suit them. Social media requires an element of exhibitionism, and engineers lack that particular gene. Over the holiday, my son (computer science guy) said he wasn’t going to put up FB or anything else, as he doesn’t want anyone stalking him online prior to interviews, during a long and secret software development project, etc. BTW, Lewis Black made some very funny comments about Twitter on TV tonight.

9. Ron Ploof
    December 2nd, 2009 @ 2:55 pm

Brian,

Thank you so much for listing me with such a distinguished group of studs. I’ve been fortunate enough to have met each one of them, and each is an inspiration.

Can I nominate Rick Jamison as another stud? 🙂

R~

10. Dean Rodgers
    December 3rd, 2009 @ 4:13 pm

Shouldn’t the always colorful John Cooley also get a tip of the hat? After all, he was doing social media for this industry WAY before it was called social media.

11. Brian
    December 3rd, 2009 @ 4:49 pm

Ron, I think Rick is definitely among the Studerrati in our space!

12. Brian
    December 3rd, 2009 @ 4:50 pm

Dean, you’re absolutely right, but you know Cooley has completely gone Luddite in the more contemporary style of social media. He believes it’s an ineffective way to reach his audience, and in that he may be right at the moment.

13. Dean Rodgers
    December 9th, 2009 @ 4:34 pm

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

14. Brian
    December 9th, 2009 @ 4:49 pm

Dean, I would respond by saying, maybe yes, maybe no.
    I used to think ‘don’t fix it’ when my old man would start tinkering around with a boat engine still under warranty and end up causing himself longterm headaches.
    Then again, if you don’t think about fixing (for the future) what doesn’t appear to need fixing now (see media circa 1995), that’s another issue altogether.
    This is at the heart of Clayton Christensen’s Innovator’s Dilemma: The core business is thriving. It ain’t broke.
    But someone invariably comes into the market and breaks it for them with disruptive technology. That’s very hard to guard against.

15. Dear Trade Press Editors: Get with the Program |
    January 20th, 2010 @ 7:04 am

[…] was the subject of the latest of Rick Jamison’s great series of interviews (Great Insights From Five Social Media Studs) with new media types. The comment discussion is worth the price of […]