Winnie Shows, rest in peace

Posted on | December 7, 2007 | 9 Comments

One of the most interesting human beings I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing died yesterday after a valiant battle with cancer. Winnie Shows, who ran Smith & Shows Public Relations in the ’80s and ’90s in Menlo Park, had fought the good fight for more than a year and something tells me she was prepped and ready for the trip to the other side.
I know Winnie because my wife worked for her in the early 1990s. They ran a really great small shop a stone’s throw from SRI. Winnie mixed a tremendous business discipline with a new-age ethos, and her agency did great work in the Unix and Open Systems space, especially for the Sparc (remember?!) consortium.
She was smart and beautiful, and I’ll never forget her excitement and energy when I dropped off toddler Maggie at her house at 2 a.m. as I took Heidi to Sequoia Hospital in Redwood City to give birth to Malcolm.
She was one of a kind.

Comments

9 Responses to “Winnie Shows, rest in peace”

1. stevengwil
    December 12th, 2007 @ 3:03 pm

Brian Fuller: Greeley’s Ghost:

On behalf of Winnie’s family and friends, let me say thank you for your very kind thoughts and words of Winnie. We will deeply miss her physical presence but know her laughter, love and spirit will live with all those who knew her.

Winnie’s brother: Steve

2. Vimala Rodgers
    December 21st, 2007 @ 11:15 am

Winnie is one of the most beautiful persons I have ever known. I heard only yesterday that she had passed on; her leaving us is going to take a bit of getting used to. She bequeathed us with a legacy of laughter, brilliance, soul-charm, and a smile that made even a grumpy person smile right back. May she continue to bless us.

3. liza
    January 8th, 2008 @ 1:19 am

This is very sweet of you to do this. I am Aliza Averell, Winnie’s grand-daughter. She was such an awesome person and always kept a positive attitude. I went to the memorial this past weekend and a lot of people showed up. she was much loved and her indent on all of our hearts will never fade.-may she rest in peace

4. liza
    January 8th, 2008 @ 1:20 am

5. Barbara Kline
    July 8th, 2008 @ 6:53 am

I am sobered to hear that it has been more than 6 months since Winnie passed. She was a friend for a long time, but we hadn’t corresponded much in the past few years. It was wonderful to watch her follow her path from the Bay Area to Colorado. My own path led me to New Mexico around the same time, and she came to visit after her diagnosis. I admired the courageous way she tackled her challenge and made such a triumphant statment of her journel. She is a wonderful presence in my life and always will be. Thank you, Brian, for your beautiful story, and for letting me know.

6. Anonymous
    July 31st, 2008 @ 12:16 am

专业的翻译公司,译佰深圳翻译公司,广州翻译公司,上海翻译公司,东莞翻译公司国内同声翻译(同声传译)领域领头军!同声传译(同传)是国际会议通常使用的翻译方式, 翻译人员进入隔音间里,通过耳机接听发言人的声音再将其翻译给听众。这种形式的翻译方式需要较为复杂的设备以及非常专业的翻译人员,但能节省大量的时间。优质翻译公司译佰翻译公司能提供同传深圳英语翻译 ,深圳日语翻译,深圳法语翻译,深圳德语翻译,深圳俄语翻译,深圳韩语翻译等数种同传语言,培养一批商务口译人员,多年以来,译佰同声翻译在同声传译(同传)领域积累了丰富的业务经验,能提供从专业同声翻译、译员培训到同传设备安装租售业务等一整套国际会议同传服务深圳翻译。

7. kdomos
    January 23rd, 2009 @ 1:58 pm

I felt you were gone even though I must of spoke or e-mailed with you shortly before you left. Than a year went by.

last night I had a dream, that you were alive. I kissed you on your chin and I could feel the healthy life behind your skin. I miss you Winnie, but I do know that you are around.
    Thank you for your friendship. I am sending all my blessings to your family, granddaughter you spoke of so often and all your other friends.
    If some could contact me and tell me a little bit about Winnie passing, and how is her family is now please write to me. thanks,

Love Katalin

8. Darryl Robida
    March 18th, 2013 @ 2:07 pm

I was happy to meet Winnie.
    We had some good times. I will always miss her.

9. Jenefer Bickers
    September 28th, 2013 @ 7:53 pm

How sad. I met Winnie through a mutual friend when I moved to Silicon Valley. We became friends and I also worked on/and off as a temporary basis for Smith & Shows. We lost touch after I moved to SF and Winned left the Bay Area. RIP and Namaste.